Skip to main content

Goals for 2011

All right, as promised, I am posting my goals for 2011, both to have a reference point for myself and in case anyone else wonders what I might be doing between blog posts. I will try to update on my progress as regularly as I can in each of these areas.
Writing:

  • My first draft of The Daughter of Three is roughly 50% complete. I need to finish the first draft and make my editing pass.
  • As soon as I have my money together, I am putting in for a private critique session with Lynn Flewelling during the Writing on the Waves 2011 conference. Obviously, this means I must have things polished enough to have a good first three chapters to send her in September. It also means I am now locked in to going on that cruise, come Hell or high water.
  • Polish some other short stories, begin querying literary magazines for a possibility of publication. For works too short to publish, post polished versions here on the blog, for your entertainment.
Reading - The stack of unread books I have continues to grow. Here are the books I absolutely must read this year, in no particular order other than how close they are to my computer at the moment:
  • The Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop
  • The Legend of Asahiel Trilogy by Eldon Thompson
  • Like Me by Chely Wright
  • The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman
  • Geist by Philippa Ballantine
  • The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
  • The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks by Josh Lanyon (and two others also loaned to me by Marie Sexton)
  • Black Ships and The Hand of Isis by Jo Graham
  • The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
  • Speak and Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
  • Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
  • The Warriors series by Erin Hunter
  • The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
  • The Casket of Souls by Lynn Flewelling (due out in October)
  • And the biggest commitment of them all: I need to re-read the entire Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, both to get my friend Mat to climb off my back, and to be prepared for the final book of the series and the end of an era.
Health and Fitness:
  • Last year I set out to lose 15 pounds. I lost 10, then gained 15 back. Five of those were apparently Christmas weight, as they disappeared again by the beginning of January, but they were, nonetheless, there, so...
  • Through proper regulation of nutrition, diet, and exercise, reach and maintain a weight of 150 pounds and/or have abs that look like Ryan Reynolds'. I'm serious. It is less about the appearance and more about the health and quality of life involved, but I'm not going to lie--appearance and self-esteem are huge contributing factors here.
Language:
  • By the 26th of February, complete the Teach Yourself Irish language course.
  • Upon completing Teach Yourself Irish, begin studying Teach Yourself Irish Grammar to polish the necessary skills there, and complete TYIG by April 15th.
  • Begin writing journal entries in Gaelige, and maybe the occasional blog post, just for fun.
  • Write and perform a complete ritual in Gaelic, which brings us to...
Wicca/Witchcraft/Spirituality
  • Study The Inner Temple of Witchcraft in time with Teach Yourself Irish, completing study on the 26th of February.
  • Study The Outer Temple of Witchcraft in time with Teach Yourself Irish Grammar, completing study on the 15th of April.
  • Continue existing daily meditation practice, and work to be better aware of my thoughts, actions, and motivations at all times.
  • Write posts as I study, explaining what concepts I'm studying, and why they are both important and also should not be scary to my readers. :-)
Other artistic pursuits:
  • When I'm finished with Irish, I would like to either start going through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brainor learn to play guitar. I imagine a new language and a new artistic skill are enough for one year, right? Right.
So that sums up what I intend to accomplish in 2011. It's going to be a jam-packed year (did I mention we are also going to London in May sometime?) but I think it will be worth it in the end. Wish me luck, and just for fun, tell me what your own goals are for this year.

~Kieran

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting by the Door

Trigger warning: bipolar disorder, mania, depression, self-harm
“I’m tired of feeling sad.” He says it as you are both eating breakfast, his expression drained of life. It has been three days of this, and you know, despite what you may be hoping, that it is far from over. It started a couple weeks ago, not with sadness, but what a psychologist calls, “hypomania.”

It's Not About the Guns

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I had an interesting discussion about the repercussions of being out. I came out the year before, just before graduating high school, and in the intervening time, had come out to my brother, my grandparents, my co-workers, my friends. Mom and I had danced around the topic a lot, but after my initial coming-out conversations with her, we'd essentially swept it under the rug. When things finally came to a head, I asked her why. Why, of all people, could I not talk to her about this topic?

"Because there are mean people in this world. There are people who will want to hurt you because of who you are, and who you love, and that scares me."

I took a minute to digest this information. "You work at a bank. If someone robs that bank tomorrow, and decides you're not moving fast enough for them, they could shoot and kill you, and it wouldn't matter to them that you are married, or that you have two sons at home. I could be afraid of what …

Being a Man

Just over a year ago, I met someone. Pros: vibrant personality, intelligent, witty, attractive. Cons: sketchy living situation, somewhat checkered past, ten and a half years my junior. Mom was going to have a field day with that last one. We talked online, texted for a couple days, met for coffee, kept texting, and things went from there.

And, he's transgender. He was assigned female at birth and is transitioning to male. He started hormone replacement therapy in February of 2013, and as of this writing has had no surgeries. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't know what to expect, and to be honest, I had no clue about the vast majority of the "process" of transition. He was open about this fact from the onset, and was (mostly) patient with questions I asked, though he also coached me to do some research on my own. So I read, and I researched. Wikipedia articles, ftmguide.org, YouTube videos, you name it.