Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo Update

As we are nearing the tail-end of November, I thought it was about time I post an update. As you can see from the progress calendar to your right, there are a lot of days with no words written. Suffice it to say, it's been a rough month, with a lot of stuff going on, and I have accomplished well below half of what I intended to do. I'm still just under the halfway mark on The Daughter of Three, which, sadly, means I will still be working on it in December.

As I've proceeded along through my plots, my vision for where the book is going has been clearer, but most days I have just been too tired to apply butt to seat without falling asleep. Added to that, my major tech failure over the summer became more and more of a hindrance due to the slower processing speed of Morgainne (our aging HP Pavilion laptop), along with her much shorter battery life (roughly 35 minutes if I were working actively).

So, on the down-side, I'm still much further from done with the book than I planned to be. On the up-side, I got my new laptop (named Lorandir for my main character) on Tuesday, and it has been everything I've hoped for in terms of processing speed and technical capabilities. Since the Mac version of Scrivener is so far improved over the Windows Beta version, it's much easier for me to shift scenes around and add things, which is a very nice plus. So despite the impending madness of December in retail, at least I know my computer will function as needed and at the speed and battery life I want.

All right, back to work I go, but look for more posts from me in the near future, which may or may not include some short works I recently located in my old files during the last computer switch.

~Kieran

EDIT Dec 4, 2010: I removed the NaNoWriMo progress calendar (or lack-of-progress calendar, in my case) from the sidebar. It wasn't particularly encouraging to see all of those red-marked days, and I want to continue working to encourage myself, so I decided to cut back down to my regular progress bar.

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting by the Door

Trigger warning: bipolar disorder, mania, depression, self-harm
“I’m tired of feeling sad.” He says it as you are both eating breakfast, his expression drained of life. It has been three days of this, and you know, despite what you may be hoping, that it is far from over. It started a couple weeks ago, not with sadness, but what a psychologist calls, “hypomania.”

It's Not About the Guns

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I had an interesting discussion about the repercussions of being out. I came out the year before, just before graduating high school, and in the intervening time, had come out to my brother, my grandparents, my co-workers, my friends. Mom and I had danced around the topic a lot, but after my initial coming-out conversations with her, we'd essentially swept it under the rug. When things finally came to a head, I asked her why. Why, of all people, could I not talk to her about this topic?

"Because there are mean people in this world. There are people who will want to hurt you because of who you are, and who you love, and that scares me."

I took a minute to digest this information. "You work at a bank. If someone robs that bank tomorrow, and decides you're not moving fast enough for them, they could shoot and kill you, and it wouldn't matter to them that you are married, or that you have two sons at home. I could be afraid of what …

Being a Man

Just over a year ago, I met someone. Pros: vibrant personality, intelligent, witty, attractive. Cons: sketchy living situation, somewhat checkered past, ten and a half years my junior. Mom was going to have a field day with that last one. We talked online, texted for a couple days, met for coffee, kept texting, and things went from there.

And, he's transgender. He was assigned female at birth and is transitioning to male. He started hormone replacement therapy in February of 2013, and as of this writing has had no surgeries. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't know what to expect, and to be honest, I had no clue about the vast majority of the "process" of transition. He was open about this fact from the onset, and was (mostly) patient with questions I asked, though he also coached me to do some research on my own. So I read, and I researched. Wikipedia articles, ftmguide.org, YouTube videos, you name it.