Tuesday, October 12, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day Twelve

12. In what story did you feel like you did the best job of worldbuilding? Any side-notes on it you'd like to share?

Again, it would be Lalirea... (Are we sensing a pattern here?) I've put a lot of time and energy into that world, and it's very real to me because of that. I have continents and kingdoms, races and societies, that span an entire world, some more detailed than others. I will freely admit that the kingdom of Felloriath is written in the mindset of a world that works the way I think things should, at least in the basest sense of the idea. Heritage and family lines are traced through the mother, specifically because the identity of a child's mother is obvious. If you have to ask why that is, I'd suggest having a long talk with your own.

Another little side-note is that I really play around with the concept of sexuality among the fey races. Our own society, and perhaps especially American society, there is an automatic assumption of the heteronormative. People are "straight" until they identify otherwise, and anything other than that is considered an oddity. I went quite deliberately to the complete opposite with the fey--I guess the term would be binormative, by extension. Everyone is assumed to be bisexual, and to specifically identify as hetero- or homo- sexual is the oddity. Thus being the case, it is just as common to see a same-sex pairing as an opposite-sex one, and most of the fey (considering a lifespan of three to five centuries on average) will see relationships of both types throughout their lives.