Saturday, October 16, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day Sixteen

16. Do you write romantic relationships? How do you do with those, and how "far" are you willing to go in your writing? ;)

I do write romantic relationships. I think for most people they are a critical part of the human experience, and so they crop up in my stories too, sometimes even where I don't intend them. Much the way things happen in daily life, it can be something as simple as one character deciding another is attractive, and then the pursuit begins. A particular challenge I'm facing with my current characters is that I have them intended for a definite romantic relationship, and have to manipulate the story around them to fit it, rather than having it be something that just happens out of the blue.

As far as whether or not I'm willing or able to write sex scenes, I honestly don't know at this point. Really it will depend on how necessary it is for the story. Then, it will depend on how well it works for my beta readers. If the general consensus says it doesn't flow, or is just plain bad, out it goes. Cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose, and I'll let you know.