Thursday, October 7, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day Seven

7. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?

It really depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes music helps me to focus, but other times it distracts me horribly and I can't have it.

The kind of music I play while I'm writing can also vary. Theoretically, I have a "writing playlist" but in practice if I'm in a music mood, I pick an album that seems to fit the scene or scenes I'm writing. Since I've been a huge fan of Florence + the Machine's "Lungs," and Sarah McLachlan's "Laws of Illusion," those have gotten a lot of play, but I listen to anything from classical (Breathe: the Relaxing Strings, Lover's Adagios, Cello Adagios--I'm big on collections) to Queen. I'm planning to pick up some Cazwell and Chely Wright in the near future, and last night I was in a Reba kind of mood.

Where I am in the story right now, "Drumming Song," by Florence is a big influence for certain characters, and it will probably pop up again a few times. :-)