Saturday, October 9, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day Nine

9. How do you get ideas for your characters? Describe the process of creating them.

My character creation process varies depending on why the character is being created. Sometimes I start with just a name, and build from there, deciding what their purpose is, and why they need to be in the story. Sometimes I start with the role the character is going to fill in the story, and then I spend a while coming up with a name and a background. Either way, it is usually from this basic framework that the rest of the character appears. When I write someone in, I usually start with a sentence or two describing who they are (Minan Shalo, the Count of Thakhar) and what makes them significant. From thereon, it's really up to the character to tell me who they are. The personality evolves over the course of the writing, and if it works, then I keep rolling with them. If it doesn't, then either I'm pushing that character into a role that doesn't fit, and I need to change characters, or I need to figure out where they do fit and then re-work that piece of the story around them.