Skip to main content

Promises by Marie Sexton

I met Marie (and her husband and daughter) at Writing on the Waves, and hanging out was an absolute blast. When she confirmed that she had some titles published, I decided I'd check them out. As an amusing side-note, I think this is the first book I've read in a while that was both 1) set in the modern day and 2) did not involve even the slightest hint of the paranormal. Honestly, it was a nice change of pace. So, without further adieu (aside from clicking "read more"), my review of Promises.

Jared Thomas is an out gay man living in Coda, Colorado, working for a store that he owns with his brother, Brian, and runs with Brian's wife, Lizzy. He has a teaching degree but has always avoided trying to get a job at the school, afraid that parents will be a bit skittish about tiny Coda's known gay teaching their kids. And besides, what would Brian and Lizzy do with the store? Matt Richards is a police officer, a military brat, and the only new face in town.

Matt comes into the shop to inquire about the Jeep Lizzy has out front, and Jared takes him out for a test drive and a little tour of town. The two have a number of things in common, and quickly become friends, but Matt is straight, and starts having a little trouble with the other guys at the police station when the only person he hangs out with is Jared. For a while, he even starts seeing that waitress from the Mexican restaurant just to shut them up, but Jared suspects that there's a little more to the way Matt keeps looking at him.

I'll leave it there, but this was definitely an enjoyable read. Being the first gay erotic romance novel I've read, I wasn't entirely certain what to expect, but the story is very well-written, the characters believable and their emotions very heartfelt. I also couldn't put it down. Okay, technically I read it as an e-book on my computer, so I couldn't close it would be a more accurate wording, but suffice it to say, in about three hours I had devoured the book, and I'm ready to read the next one.

Check out Promises by Marie Sexton. E-book format available for $6.99 from Borders.

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting by the Door

Trigger warning: bipolar disorder, mania, depression, self-harm
“I’m tired of feeling sad.” He says it as you are both eating breakfast, his expression drained of life. It has been three days of this, and you know, despite what you may be hoping, that it is far from over. It started a couple weeks ago, not with sadness, but what a psychologist calls, “hypomania.”

It's Not About the Guns

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I had an interesting discussion about the repercussions of being out. I came out the year before, just before graduating high school, and in the intervening time, had come out to my brother, my grandparents, my co-workers, my friends. Mom and I had danced around the topic a lot, but after my initial coming-out conversations with her, we'd essentially swept it under the rug. When things finally came to a head, I asked her why. Why, of all people, could I not talk to her about this topic?

"Because there are mean people in this world. There are people who will want to hurt you because of who you are, and who you love, and that scares me."

I took a minute to digest this information. "You work at a bank. If someone robs that bank tomorrow, and decides you're not moving fast enough for them, they could shoot and kill you, and it wouldn't matter to them that you are married, or that you have two sons at home. I could be afraid of what …

Being a Man

Just over a year ago, I met someone. Pros: vibrant personality, intelligent, witty, attractive. Cons: sketchy living situation, somewhat checkered past, ten and a half years my junior. Mom was going to have a field day with that last one. We talked online, texted for a couple days, met for coffee, kept texting, and things went from there.

And, he's transgender. He was assigned female at birth and is transitioning to male. He started hormone replacement therapy in February of 2013, and as of this writing has had no surgeries. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't know what to expect, and to be honest, I had no clue about the vast majority of the "process" of transition. He was open about this fact from the onset, and was (mostly) patient with questions I asked, though he also coached me to do some research on my own. So I read, and I researched. Wikipedia articles, ftmguide.org, YouTube videos, you name it.