Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Air Conditioning and Motivation

My husband and I have a wonderful little problem. Our central air conditioning unit works, but only until the outdoor temperature hits about 85 degrees. After that point, it is just too old to keep up.

Whether I'd like to admit it or not, this has taken a great deal out of my motivation. Not necessarily because I'm depressed about the air conditioner, though I certainly am, but because the house is so uncomfortably warm that it's hard to want to actually do anything. It seems like a flimsy excuse to write it out, but focusing on writing, or even meditation, becomes hard to do when you're considering peeling off your own skin to see if it could help you feel cooler.

I haven't gone to the gym, worked on my book, studied, meditated, or much of anything else, in many, many days now. This is the first blog post I've written in a few weeks, though I've started a few that are still sitting as unfinished drafts, one of which consists only of a title. Obviously, one major solution is that hubby and I need to purchase a new central air unit, but in the short term, I'm not certain what I should do. For the moment, it appears that I will be doing my writing outside of the house, probably before or after work each day. As far as housework, it seems the answer is simply to suck it up.

So anyhoo, that's why I've been so quiet lately. Don't worry, this is the start of me getting loud again. :-)