Skip to main content

The Tamír Triad by Lynn Flewelling

I know I said some time back that my next review would be for The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, but Lynn Flewelling captured my attention before I was able to finish TTW, which has been sitting on my nightstand waiting for a couple of months now. Instead, I have been engrossed in reading and listening to Ms. Flewelling's Tamír Triad, consisting of The Bone Doll's Twin, Hidden Warrior, and The Oracle's Queen, and a whole lot of genius. This trilogy is a companion to the Nightrunners series, which I will address in a separate post.

Set in the Kingdom of Skala some 600 years before the first book of Nightrunners, our story opens with the wizard Iya and her apprentice Arkoniel traveling to the Oracle at Afra, a holy site dedicated to the god of the moon, of madness, and patron of wizards, Illior. Centuries before, the Oracle prophesied that only a Queen could rule Skala, or great tragedies would befall the kingdom. Queen Agnalain, however, was mad, and when she died, her son Erius took the throne, suggesting that the prophecy "So long as a daughter of Thelátimos' line..." applied only to the immediate descendants of Thelátimos (the last King), and intending to start a new dynasty of Kings instead of Queens. The country, however, has fallen to plague, famine, and drought, and their ancient enemies in Plenimar across the sea are stirring toward invasion.

Knowing that these events will bring unrest, Erius has begun arranging the deaths of all of the female children born into the royal line, thus assuring that his son, Korin, will succeed the throne. The only known surviving woman in the line is Erius's younger sister, Ariani (who would have been Queen under the proper succession), and Iya is told by the Oracle that Ariani will bear two children, but one Queen. In answer, Iya gains assistance from a hill-witch to hide the inevitable girl-child from the King in the most secure way possible: to give her the form of her twin brother, who must be killed in the process.

A small mistake lets the spirit of the boy take hold, which traps it, binding him to his sister, living unknowingly in his form. Prince Tobin is raised as a boy, not knowing the truth of his (her) existence until much later. Not only is the story utterly engrossing and beautifully written, but with the haunting of Tobin's dead twin, there is the eerie ghost story tied into the mix. Additionally, there is the underlying theme, as Ms. Flewelling puts it in her introduction to the audio recording, of gender identity and gender roles, and their slippery and often mutable nature. This is the story of the boy who is really a girl, the Prince who will be the greatest Queen in Skalan history, and an interesting take on the nature of the soul and the self.

Some of the fun here is that whether you read Nightrunners or Tamír first, you'll have an "aha" moment either way. (What is the bowl? What about Círna and Rhíminee? What the heck is an Orëska?) More importantly, you'll have a great time reading this fabulous adventure. Pick up The Bone Doll's Twin at the store for $7.99, or on audio through iTunes for $21.95--the audio versions are provided by Audible.com and are absolutely excellent! Either way, you won't be disappointed. You will immediately want the other two books. Trust me.

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting by the Door

Trigger warning: bipolar disorder, mania, depression, self-harm
“I’m tired of feeling sad.” He says it as you are both eating breakfast, his expression drained of life. It has been three days of this, and you know, despite what you may be hoping, that it is far from over. It started a couple weeks ago, not with sadness, but what a psychologist calls, “hypomania.”

It's Not About the Guns

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I had an interesting discussion about the repercussions of being out. I came out the year before, just before graduating high school, and in the intervening time, had come out to my brother, my grandparents, my co-workers, my friends. Mom and I had danced around the topic a lot, but after my initial coming-out conversations with her, we'd essentially swept it under the rug. When things finally came to a head, I asked her why. Why, of all people, could I not talk to her about this topic?

"Because there are mean people in this world. There are people who will want to hurt you because of who you are, and who you love, and that scares me."

I took a minute to digest this information. "You work at a bank. If someone robs that bank tomorrow, and decides you're not moving fast enough for them, they could shoot and kill you, and it wouldn't matter to them that you are married, or that you have two sons at home. I could be afraid of what …

Being a Man

Just over a year ago, I met someone. Pros: vibrant personality, intelligent, witty, attractive. Cons: sketchy living situation, somewhat checkered past, ten and a half years my junior. Mom was going to have a field day with that last one. We talked online, texted for a couple days, met for coffee, kept texting, and things went from there.

And, he's transgender. He was assigned female at birth and is transitioning to male. He started hormone replacement therapy in February of 2013, and as of this writing has had no surgeries. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't know what to expect, and to be honest, I had no clue about the vast majority of the "process" of transition. He was open about this fact from the onset, and was (mostly) patient with questions I asked, though he also coached me to do some research on my own. So I read, and I researched. Wikipedia articles, ftmguide.org, YouTube videos, you name it.