Skip to main content

Paranormal Activity

Another film in the now-extremely-popular style of home-cam recording, Paranormal Activity is an interesting take on a haunting film. Unlike many of the common favorites, the film was extremely low-budget, and shot over the course of six days. There were very few special effects, which made those few that were put to use highly effective.
In the film, Katie and her boyfriend Micah (pronounced MEE-kah, not MY-kah) have moved into a house in San Diego, and have apparently been followed by something from Katie's past. Katie always saw it as a shadow at the edge of her bed, saying her name, but now it's begun to take a more direct approach to gain their attention. To aid in identifying whether or not it's really there, Micah sets up a video camera to record the house while the couple is awake, asleep, and even not home. In the beginning, the things that happen are fairly standard for a haunting; a door moves, a light kicks on while footsteps come up the stairs, then off again as the footsteps reach their mark.
A psychic comes to the house at Katie's behest to see if there is anything he can do, asks the couple a number of questions, identifies that the spirit plaguing them is not a ghost (the lingering spirit of a human life) and is, in his terms, a demon (a malevolent non-human spirit) that probably wants Katie herself. Micah suggests that they should get a Ouija board and attempt to find out what the thing wants, but the psychic firmly warns against the idea, as making an attempt to contact it, and play its game will only be taken as an invitation. Micah initially expresses an intent to ignore this advice, but Katie finally demands a promise from him, and he promises not to purchase a Ouija board.
As the nights progress, Micah, who consistently swears that he's helping, and has "got a handle on this, and I'm going to fix it..." mostly just follows Katie around the house with a camera, sets the camera on the tripod in their bedroom at night, and says a lot of things to egg the demon on. "Come on out there, we haven't seen anything interesting tonight. We think you're gone, but why don't you show us if you're still here!" (The night that the lights started working, and the footprints became clearer, more distinct.) Frankly, he's an idiot, and winds up doing a lot more damage than he realizes. For the rest, go see the movie, but I recommend picking up a set of Depends on your way to the theatre, or at the very least, visit the bathroom before you take your seat. Absolutely one of the scariest things I've ever seen, and very, very well-timed, well-paced, with an ending that ought to creep you out enough to be afraid to go downstairs by yourself. I know I sure am...

A moment to rant at the character: Perhaps it's because I've been a witch for almost ten years (surprise, to those who didn't know that one) and perhaps it's just because I'm an extreme nervous case who has seen dozens of horror films and occasionally watches those haunting shows on television, but the very first thing that I would not do is tell the thing I wanted proof it was in my house. Helping? That's not helping. That's doing precisely what you were told not to do, which was play games with it and invite it in. "...show us if you're still here..." is an invitation, is it not? If you want to help, read something other than a cheap Dover re-printing of a publication from the 20's. Pick up The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings or something written with a slightly more modern-day perspective. Take a page from the Native Americans, and burn some sage (raising the vibrations in the area, warding off unpleasant energies and spirits). Do...not...FUCKING...talk...to...it! /end rant

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting by the Door

Trigger warning: bipolar disorder, mania, depression, self-harm
“I’m tired of feeling sad.” He says it as you are both eating breakfast, his expression drained of life. It has been three days of this, and you know, despite what you may be hoping, that it is far from over. It started a couple weeks ago, not with sadness, but what a psychologist calls, “hypomania.”

It's Not About the Guns

Fifteen years ago, my mom and I had an interesting discussion about the repercussions of being out. I came out the year before, just before graduating high school, and in the intervening time, had come out to my brother, my grandparents, my co-workers, my friends. Mom and I had danced around the topic a lot, but after my initial coming-out conversations with her, we'd essentially swept it under the rug. When things finally came to a head, I asked her why. Why, of all people, could I not talk to her about this topic?

"Because there are mean people in this world. There are people who will want to hurt you because of who you are, and who you love, and that scares me."

I took a minute to digest this information. "You work at a bank. If someone robs that bank tomorrow, and decides you're not moving fast enough for them, they could shoot and kill you, and it wouldn't matter to them that you are married, or that you have two sons at home. I could be afraid of what …

Being a Man

Just over a year ago, I met someone. Pros: vibrant personality, intelligent, witty, attractive. Cons: sketchy living situation, somewhat checkered past, ten and a half years my junior. Mom was going to have a field day with that last one. We talked online, texted for a couple days, met for coffee, kept texting, and things went from there.

And, he's transgender. He was assigned female at birth and is transitioning to male. He started hormone replacement therapy in February of 2013, and as of this writing has had no surgeries. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't know what to expect, and to be honest, I had no clue about the vast majority of the "process" of transition. He was open about this fact from the onset, and was (mostly) patient with questions I asked, though he also coached me to do some research on my own. So I read, and I researched. Wikipedia articles, ftmguide.org, YouTube videos, you name it.